2022-2023 Undergraduate Bulletin

Taking Courses at Other Colleges

A Permit or CUNY ePermit is required in order to take a course at another college and receive credit at John Jay College. Students must adhere to the permit guidelines and follow the approval process described below.

Permit Guidelines

Students who wish to take a course on permit must be currently enrolled as matriculated students and have a grade point average of 2.0 or higher. Students who have stop(s) on their record (e.g., Bursar’s, Financial Aid, Library, etc.) will not be considered for a permit until their stop(s) have been cleared.

Students may not take a course on permit until they have completed at least one semester at John Jay and have posted grades. However, students in ROTC, the CUNY Baccalaureate Program, or Macaulay Honors College may be allowed permits even in their first semester to take courses specific to their programs.

Readmitted students may not take courses on permit the same semester they are readmitted.

A permit does NOT guarantee a student a seat in the class that the student wants to attend.

If, after having been approved to take a course on permit, the student opts not to take the course, the student must cancel the permit in CUNYfirst.

CUNY ePermit for Courses at Other CUNY Colleges

In order to take a course at another CUNY college, students apply for ePermits through the Self Service Student Center area of CUNYfirst. Students must submit one ePermit application for each course they wish to take on permit.

Students can find listings and descriptions of courses at all CUNY colleges through the Self Service/Class Search area of CUNYfirst. It is the student’s responsibility to find out whether a selected course is being offered in that semester, whether it fits into the student’s schedule, and whether seats are still available.

When the ePermit to another CUNY college is approved, the credits will be posted to the student’s tuition bill at John Jay College. Payment must be made in full to John Jay College before the student can register at the host college. The student will be notified by the host college when they can register and must then register for the course at the host college.

If an ePermit request is rejected, a student will be notified electronically of the reason for the disapproval.

All grades (A to FIN) of courses taken on permit at CUNY colleges will be posted to the student’s record and computed into his or her overall grade point average. Students receiving a failing grade (, F or FIN) for a course taken on permit will not be allowed to retake the course at John Jay College under the CUNY F-grade policy.  Any course repeats must be done at the same CUNY campus where originally taken. 

All notifications are e-mailed directly to the student’s college e-mail address.

Permit for Courses at Non-CUNY Colleges

A students who wishes to take a course on permit at a non-CUNY college must obtain permission in advance via a paper permit from the Office of the Registrar. The student must make an appointment to see the permit coordinator in the Office of the Registrar. The student must bring to the appointment the description of the course they wish to take as published in the most recent course catalog of the host college.

A permit to a non-CUNY college requires that payment be made at the host institution. The student is liable for the tuition rate of the host college. The student is responsible for arranging to have an official transcript sent from the host institution to John Jay College after completion of the course.

If the student plans to use financial aid for the non-CUNY permit course, the student must consult the John Jay College Office of Financial Aid.