2014-2015 Undergraduate Bulletin

Matriculated Students

A matriculated student is accepted and recognized by the College as working toward a degree. Students may attend John Jay on a full-time or part-time basis and be considered matriculated students.

Students may apply for admission as matriculated students in the following categories:

  • Freshman
  • Transfer
  • Search for Education, Elevation and Knowledge (SEEK)
  • International Students
  • Public Safety Personnel (police officers, firefighters, correction officers, etc.)


All entering freshman applicants are considered for admission based on their high school academic averages, academic units, SAT or ACT scores and/or GED scores. A diploma from an accredited high school, an equivalency diploma, or a diploma from a United States Armed Forces Institute is required for entrance to the College. A high school certificate or an Individualized Education Program (IEP) diploma is not acceptable.

An applicant for freshman admission must present evidence of having received a diploma from an accredited high school. Students from non-English speaking countries must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination (SEE the International Students section for details). All baccalaureate students must take the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or ACT prior to admission.

An applicant who does not meet these criteria may be accepted into the CUNY Justice Academy at a City University community college. This exciting and innovative program provides opportunities for students who are interested in studying criminal justice, forensic science or forensic financial analysis to begin their studies in an associate degree program at a CUNY community college and then complete their baccalaureate studies at John Jay College. For more information about the CUNY Justice Academy Program, visit, http://www.cuny.edu/justiceacademy.


Transfer applicants who have attended a college or post-secondary institution must have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 based on the total number of credits they have attempted/completed. Transfer students with fewer than 24 credits must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 and must also have the high school average and academic units required for admission to the College.

In addition to meeting the College’s other requirements, students wishing to transfer into the forensic science program must demonstrate a GPA of at least 2.50 in science and mathematics courses credited toward the major.

Students must also demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing and mathematics. This can be accomplished by taking a 3-credit college level course in English and mathematics and earning a grade of C or better. Students may also take the CUNY Assessment Tests in reading, writing and mathematics to demonstrate proficiency.

Second Baccalaureate Degree

Students who wish to earn a second baccalaureate degree from John Jay College must complete at least 30 credits and at least 50 percent of the major courses in residence. Students who hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college are exempt from further general education requirements except where there may be prerequisites for courses required to complete the second major.

Visiting Students

Visiting students are students who wish to attend John Jay College while being matriculated at another college. Generally, visiting or permit students must meet the same requirements to register for specific courses as John Jay College students.

All City University of New York visiting students (permits) must apply through the CUNY ePermit system, which can be accessed by logging into the CUNY portal at http://www.cuny.edu and clicking on ePermit. This electronic process allows students to select courses and apply for permission from both the student’s home college and John Jay College.

Students from outside CUNY must first seek permission from their own college to take courses at John Jay College. The Visiting/Non-Degree Application is available online at http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/apply-visiting-student, http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/apply-non-john-jay-degree-student. The completed application, accompanied by the application fee of $65, should be submitted to the Office of Admissions.

Non-Degree Students

Non-degree students are accepted on a semester-to-semester basis, depending on space availability. New non-degree students must apply through the Office of Admissions. Students must provide verification of high school graduation or a General Equivalency Diploma (GED), as well as transcripts from all colleges previously attended. Non-degree students must meet the academic achievement standards established for matriculated students.

The Non-Degree Application is available online at http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/apply-non-john-jay-degree-student. The completed application, accompanied by the application fee of $65, should be submitted to the Office of Admissions.

Public Safety Employees

Members of the New York City Police Department, Fire Department and Department of Correction are encouraged to apply directly to the College, and are admitted under special rules by virtue of the College’s relationship with their agencies. Public safety employees are provided with targeted advisement to meet their unique needs. For more information, or to apply to the College, please go to http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/inservice. Active NYPD Officers interested in the NYPD Leadership Program should visit http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/nypd.

Veterans and Military Personnel

SEE The City University of New York Academic Policy on Military Service in Chapter 7 of this bulletin.