2016-2017 Undergraduate Bulletin

Academic Advisement

Students are encouraged to consult regularly with members of the faculty regarding course and program requirements, academic progress, and plans for study in graduate and professional schools. In addition, the College provides the following advisement services.

Academic Advisement Center

Room L.73, New Building
646.557.4816 or 646.557.4872

The Academic Advisement Center provides services for the following populations, with a focus on general education requirements:

  • Freshmen (students who have 0-29 credits)
  • Continuing students in baccalaureate degree programs who need advising regarding general education requirements
  • Continuing students in associate degree programs
  • New transfer students
  • Readmitted students
  • Baccalaureate students on academic probation

The staff in the Academic Advisement Center help students:

  • Adjust to university life
  • Clarify their academic and career goals in relation to their life expectations
  • Select appropriate courses
  • Interpret institutional policies, procedures and requirements
  • Increase their awareness of educational opportunities
  • Find campus resources that offer helpful support

Health Professions Advisor

Edgardo Sanabria-Valentín, Ph.D.
Room 5.61, New Building

Students interested in pursuing careers in the health professions - medicine (MD and DO), dentistry, optometry, podiatry or veterinary medicine, among others - are able to fulfill the necessary academic requirements at John Jay. Anyone considering these careers should consult with the health professions advisor at least twice a semester, every semester. The advisor will assist these students in planning their academic programs, organizing appropriate extracurricular activities, and taking advantage of the resources available through John Jay to achieve their goals. Most health professional schools require all applicants to have a fundamental knowledge of biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics and to have taken college-level courses on these topics. It is strongly advised that students begin science preparation in the freshman year with BIO 103BIO 104, CHE 103CHE 104, and MAT 241MAT 242. These subjects are also part of the standardized tests that applicants take at the end of their junior year for admission to health professional schools. Because test results, applications and the advisor’s letter of recommendation are usually forwarded to schools by the beginning of senior year, students applying to these programs must meet with their health professions advisor regularly to coordinate this process. Appointments can be set up on the Academic Advising website.

Interdisciplinary Studies Program

Room 6.65, New Building

The Department of Interdisciplinary Studies provides advisement for students enrolled in Interdisciplinary Studies Program.

Percy Ellis Sutton SEEK Program

Room 432, Haaren Hall

Students accepted to the SEEK Program either as freshmen or transfer students are assigned to a SEEK counselor in their first semester. All students in the SEEK Program may schedule counseling appointments with the SEEK Department.

Veterans/Service Members Academic Advisement

Room L.68, New Building

Veteran students interested in academic advising can contact the Counseling Department for assistance. Advisement specific to majors and academic programs is provided by faculty advisors. Contact the major, minor or program coordinator regarding advisement. To find the name of the appropriate faculty member, consult chapter 5 of the Undergraduate Bulletin: Programs of Study.