2020-2021 Undergraduate Bulletin

Name Changes

From time to time, students request to change a name on official college records such as the transcript and diploma as well as on nonofficial records such as an identification card, email address, and course rosters. Name changes generally occur for one of the following reasons and each type follows its own protocols.

Court-Ordered Name Changes

Such an order may arise in a number of different contexts including a name change proceeding, an adoption proceeding, a divorce decree, gender reassignment (SEE section on Gender Changes, below), or a witness protection program. In these cases, students should present a final court order (or, where applicable, a marriage certificate will be accepted in lieu of a court order).

In these cases, a student is entitled to change his or her records to reflect the new or resumed name in accordance with the court order. To obtain a change, the student must show an original or certified copy of the order. Thereafter, only the new name will be reflected on transcripts, diplomas, and all other records issued by the college. However, the student may request in writing that a reference to the former name (e.g., John Doe, formerly known as John Roe) be included on transcripts and/or diplomas.

The college will strictly comply with the terms of the court order. For example, a court-ordered name change made as a result of an adoption proceeding, gender reassignment, or as part of a witness protection program may require that the previous name be sealed from the public.

If a diploma has previously been issued with the previous name, the student will be expected to surrender the original diploma. In the event the original diploma has been lost or destroyed, a new diploma will be issued as a duplicate and will bear a notation to that effect.

Students initiate name change procedures by submitting documentation to Jay Express Services. Jay Express then refers the students to DoIT to change their email and Blackboard names and to Public Safety to change their ID cards.

Preferred Name

John Jay College respects the importance that a name change might have to students during their time at the college. A preferred name is not a legal name, but is generally used to change how others refer to the student. For example, student Jonathan Doe may prefer the name John or student Mary Jane Doe may want to be referred to as Mary or Jane, rather than Mary Jane. Note that preferred names are not limited to variations of a student’s legal name; for example, student Jennifer may request the preferred name David due to a preference in gender identity and be unable to present the documents necessary to secure a court-ordered name change.

John Jay College allows the use of a preferred name on all documents and records other than official documents (such as diplomas and transcripts). Documents and records that may display a preferred name include, among other things, Blackboard, course rosters, student identification cards, student email addresses, and honors, awards, and prizes issued by the College.

Students can add or change their preferred names through the CUNYfirst Student Center. Step-by-step instructions are available at http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/sites/default/files/contentgroups/pub_safety/Name%20Change%20Directions.pdf

After changing the preferred name in CUNYfirst, students must visit Jay Express Services for referrals to DoIT to update their email and Blackboard names and to Public Safety to change their ID cards.

Corrections of Typographical Errors

When a student requests a name change due to a typographical or other error in the college’s records, the student’s request will be granted after verification that the name change is due to such error. Documents that may assist a college in making this determination include, for example, birth certificates, passports, social security cards, driver’s licenses, or other documents issued by federal, state or local government agencies.

Gender Changes

Students may change their gender on all prior, present, and future college records at their discretion since student gender is not included on any official documents and is generally collected for statistical purposes only. A gender change may be made at the same time as a name change or as a separate transaction depending on the student’s instructions.