2021-2022 Undergraduate Bulletin

Matriculated Students

A matriculated student is accepted and recognized by the College as working toward a degree. Students may attend John Jay on a full-time or part-time basis and be considered matriculated students.

Students may apply for admission as matriculated students in the following categories:

  • Freshman
  • Transfer
  • Search for Education, Elevation and Knowledge (SEEK)
  • International Students
  • Public Safety Personnel (police officers, firefighters, correction officers, etc.)


All entering freshman applicants are considered for admission based on their high school academic averages, academic units and/or GED scores. A diploma from an accredited high school, an equivalency diploma, or a diploma from a United States Armed Forces Institute is required for entrance to the College. A high school certificate or an Individualized Education Program (IEP) diploma is not acceptable.

An applicant for freshman admission must present evidence of having received a diploma from an accredited high school. Students from non-English speaking countries must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination (SEE the International Students section for details). Students can also take the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or PTE Academic. A score of 6 is required on the IELTS or 44 on the PTE Academic. 

An applicant who does not meet these criteria may be accepted into the CUNY Justice Academy at a City University community college. This exciting and innovative program provides opportunities for students who are interested in studying criminal justice, forensic science or forensic financial analysis to begin their studies in an associate degree program at a CUNY community college and then complete their baccalaureate studies at John Jay College. For more information about the CUNY Justice Academy Program, visit, http://www.cuny.edu/justiceacademy.


Transfer applicants who have attended a college or post-secondary institution must have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 based on the total number of credits they have attempted/completed. Transfer students with fewer than 24 credits must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 and must also have the high school average and academic units required for admission to the College.

In addition to meeting the College’s other requirements, students wishing to transfer into the forensic science program must demonstrate a GPA of at least 2.50 in science and mathematics courses credited toward the major.

Students must also demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing and mathematics. This can be accomplished by taking a 3-credit college level course in English and mathematics and earning a grade of C or better. Students may also take the CUNY Assessment Tests in reading, writing and mathematics to demonstrate proficiency.

Second Baccalaureate Degree

Students who wish to earn a second baccalaureate degree from John Jay College must complete at least 30 credits and at least 50 percent of the major courses in residence. Students who hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college are exempt from further general education requirements except where there may be prerequisites for courses required to complete the second major. Second baccalaureate degree students are assigned registration appointment dates and times that occur shortly after all first undergraduate degree student registration appointments. Students are permitted to earn a minor along with their second baccalaureate degree.  The college’s maximum two course overlap rule will apply to this minor and the second baccalaureate major. This rule states that students cannot overlap more than two courses between major and major, major and minor, and minor and minor.

Note: Second baccalaureate students who earned their first degree at John Jay College, are not subject to the two course overlap limitation between majors.

Visiting Students

Visiting students are students who wish to attend John Jay College while being matriculated at another college. Generally, visiting or permit students must meet the same requirements to register for specific courses as John Jay College students.

All students from other City University of New York colleges who wish to attend John Jay College as visiting students must formally apply for an e-Permit through the CUNYfirst Self-Service Student Center.  There are specific requirements for students to be approved for e-Permits.  For additional information, please visit, http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/permit-courses-cuny-epermit-and-non-cuny-institution-permit.

Students from outside CUNY must first seek permission from their own college to take courses at John Jay College. The Visiting/Non-Degree Application is available online at http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/apply-visiting-student, http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/apply-non-john-jay-degree-student. The completed application, accompanied by the application fee of $65, should be submitted to the Office of Admissions.

Public Safety Employees

Members of the New York City Police Department, Fire Department and Department of Correction are encouraged to apply directly to the College, and are admitted under special rules by virtue of the College’s relationship with their agencies. Public safety employees are provided with targeted advisement to meet their unique needs. For more information, or to apply to the College, please go to http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/inservice. Active NYPD Officers interested in the NYPD Leadership Program should visit http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/nypd.

Veterans and Military Personnel

Veterans and military members should apply as Freshmen or Transfer students using the standard CUNY application, available at http://www2.cuny.edu/admissions/undergraduate/apply.

Application Fee Waiver 

Undergraduate military and veteran applicants may obtain an application fee waivers. Instructions for obtaining a fee waiver can be found at http://www2.cuny.edu/about/university-resources/veterans-affairs/veterans-admissions/

Veterans are exempt from paying the commitment deposit.

Late Admissions

Veterans and military members who are unable to apply to CUNY by the university's deadlines should contact the John Jay College Office of Admissions at admissions@jjay.cuny.edu to inquire about direct admission to the college. Direct admission decisions are made on a space-available basis.

Re-enrollment after Extended Active Duty

Students returning from periods of extended active military service who left John Jay College in good academic standing are automatically processed for readmission upon application. Upon presentation of a DD214 and/or orders, the readmission deadline date, readmission fee and penalty fees will be waived.
Readmission applications of students returning from periods of extended active military service who left John Jay while on academic probation or academic dismissal will be considered by the Undergraduate Readmission Committee

Students returning from periods of extended active military service may register after normal registration periods in accordance with policies without late registration fees. Students returning too late to register may audit classes without charge.

Military and veteran students will not be charged a fee for readmission to the same college they previously attended.

See also:

Tuition for Veterans and Military Personnel

Enrollment Breaks for Military Service

Veteran Benefits

Credit for Military Service